January 1, 2021
Leasing Process + Information / How to View a Unit
Please note that most of our common leasing questions are answered online here:
Our website will reflect the most up to date information and the status will change to either ‘Applications Pending’ or the entire listing will be removed if the unit is offered / rented.
Units listed for move-in as ‘available now’ can also be pre-rented about 3-4 weeks out in the future. For example – a unit listed for move-in June 1st may be okay for pre-rental July 1st or June 16th as option. Rent is prorated based on any mid-month move-in date.
Currently we are not pre-renting any vacant units for August 2021. Units with an August move-in date will gradually appear later between March – May..
The pics / floorplans shown online are acceptable ways to view our units virtually. Units that are vacant can be viewed via self-tour by scheduling an appointment with the office to pick-up keys at our leasing office (2115 Shattuck Ave). Please email Leasing@northberkeleyproperties.com or call 510-849-0882 to schedule a viewing.
Applicants can just email our office with a few 1-hour time slots that they prefer and same day appointments are usually possible. Appointments can be made Weekdays 10am – 1pm, 2pm – 4pm. The office closes at 5pm so the last key checkout time is at 4pm and keys must be returned before office closing.
Please note that there is currently no option to view occupied units in-person and we cannot ask the current residents to do a video tour to show their own apartments. Some occupied units will be listed with a 3D tour, photos, floorplan or some combination. Currently what is provided in the listing is the only virtual option to view the apartment.
Here’s a breakdown of how the application / leasing process will work:
- Review pics / floorplan of listed unit (this is the only virtual tour option). Or view the apartment in-person by appointment
- Submit applications online – one application for every member of group / each roommate
Application link: Application (new tab)
** When the application asks you if you have seen the unit just note that you have reviewed the pics / floorplan **
- Office reviews completed group applications (2-4 business days)
- Offer email sent out to accepted group
- Group needs to respond to offer email and can choose to accept / decline the offer and send email decision back to office
- If offer is accepted the office will activate a portal for paying the holding deposit – this should be paid by next business day – payments accepted via e-Check (no fee) or credit / debit cards (fee set by 3rd party vendor)
- If holding deposit is paid the office will send an electronic DocuSign lease and activate portal for remaining security deposit amount and application fees
– Note: holding deposit is non-refundable once paid but is used towards the security deposit. eg: if holding deposit paid is $200.00 and full security deposit is $4,000 – the group only needs to pay $3,800 for remaining security deposit amount)
– Security deposit is refundable at the time the apartment moves out in the future provided the unit is returned undamaged with no pending balance
- Group has 3-5 business days to complete lease signing / paying deposit. If both are completed then the apartment is considered rented and off-market
- Additional time given for co-signer forms (2 weeks usually) or for any other documents requested by leasing agent.