Roommate Substitution / Addition / Removal

Residents intending to substitute themselves or add additional roommates on the lease agreement must receive permission and prior approval from the office.  It is recommended that residents begin this process early to give the office time to provide instructions and prepare the needed lease documents.

Roommate Substitution / Removal:

  1. Filling out a Substitution Petition or Lease Removal (PDF)  – Only the resident that is moving or being substituted should fill out this form.  Do not have any new substitute roommate or staying roommates sign this form.
  2. The petition form can be dropped off at our office in person or scanned/emailed to
  3. If there is a replacement, have the new roommate fill out an application form online:
    Substitute Roommate Application and pay a one-time $40.00 processing fee to the office via check or cash
  4. Additional instructions and an Addendum to create the substitution will be provided by the office.

Please note that any substitute roommates must fill out an application form and include a $40 processing fee.  The roommate substitution process is not considered complete until a valid DocuSign or Addendum agreement is completed and all processing fees paid.

Roommate Addition

If you are adding an additional occupant for your apartment please email: to make sure this is allowed.

Once approval is received the new roommate / occupant should complete an Addition Application online at: Roommate Addition and pay a one-time $40.00 processing fee to the office via check or cash.

Additional instructions and an Addendum to add the roommate will be provided by the office.

Security Deposit

Unless the entire apartment and all occupants are vacating the unit the full security deposit remains on file at the office.  North Berkeley Properties does not issue partial security deposits for roommate substitutions.

The moving roommate(s) and the new, incoming roommate(s) should agree upon the unit condition and the amount of security deposit to be exchanged as a private transaction.

In the event that the entire apartment and all occupants vacate the apartment together at a future date the security deposit check will contain the names of all current occupants (including any substitute roommates currently living in the apartment).  Any former occupants that have vacated or been removed previously will not be included on the security deposit check.

Key Exchange

The roommate vacating the unit should arrange a time to provide their keys to the new substitute roommate.  If this is not possible arrangements should be made with other roommates in the unit or a local contact.

The office recommends that the moving roommate(s) ensure that they receive their portion of the security deposit before or during the key exchange.