May 1, 2023
Leasing Process / Application Info / Viewing Units
Please note that most of our other common leasing questions are answered online here:
Website is Updated Weekly / Wait Times at Office:
Our website will reflect the most up to date information and the status will change to either ‘Applications Pending’ or the entire listing will be removed if the unit is offered / rented.
During the busy season (now through August) please note that we experience extremely high call and email volume. Everyone is encouraged to review listing information online and read the application process online before emailing questions about specific listings or the leasing process. All relevant information regarding utilities, start date, lease term, pricing is quoted online for our units. It may take 1-2 business days to respond to all general inquiries.
If you are calling during office hours (Weekdays 10am – 1pm, 2pm – 5pm) and the phone goes to voicemail it means that all staff members may be on the phone. Please try calling again in a few minutes or directing your inquiry to email.
Viewing a Unit:
OCCUPIED UNITS are not available for key checkouts or drop-in viewings. These units are being lived in by current residents. Viewing for these units are done by general open houses and group showings. Times and days will be posted online. If you do not see a posted date please check back later. Due to high number of inquiries we do not email or call every interested attendee about a showing date/time.
VACANT UNITS are available for viewings on Weekdays 10am – 1pm, 2pm – 4pm. Book an appointment by emailing the listed contact on the listing page. NBP Units – Email = Leasing (a t)northberkeleyproperties.com. AP Units Email = Leasing (a t)apmanage.net
Can you help me find an apartment?
AP Management and North Berkeley Properties currently only provide management and leasing services for the properties we manage. We do not operate as a broker or private agent locating suitable rentals for individuals. This service / industry remains extremely rare on the West Coast / California compared to the East Coast / New York where it is more common and applicants employ agents or brokers to locate suitable apartments and parties may pay a broker’s fee.
We currently only know of one company that offers this service in the East Bay: Andrea Rentals. We are not affiliated with this company nor do we endorse their services.
Leasing Process / Application:
Here’s a breakdown of how the application / leasing process will work:
IMPORANT – Missing or delayed applications are the most common reasons why we are sometimes unable to offer a unit. When you submit an application you will always receive a confirmation email from AppFolio. Please make sure all group members submit an application around the same time AND everyone receives a confirmation email. Group applications are not considered until all applications are received.
- Attend the open house showing for the listed unit if it is occupied or view the unit via key checkout (if vacant).
Unable to view the unit in-person? Some properties allow for sight unseen rentals via pics or 3D tour options – please email NBP or AP for approval before submitting applications online.
- Submit applications online – one application for every member of group / each roommate. Please double check the listing for which company to apply for!
NBP Application link: NBP Application (new tab)Office reviews any completed group applications at the end of each business day and forwards to the owners for review. Review process may take 2-4 business days.
AP Application link: AP Application (new tab)
Applications should be submitted AFTER an open house showing (if unit is occupied) OR after you view it via key checkout (if unit is vacant).
- Accepted applicant group will receive an offer email from the office along with a detailed breakdown of the remaining leasing steps and deadlines. A separate email will come from AppFolio (to be used to pay the application fee and holding deposit)
- Group needs to respond to offer email and can choose to accept / decline the offer via email response within 1 business day. To accept the office the applicant should pay the $40 application fee and required holding deposit to the AppFolio portal by the required deadline. Please email back confirming that you accept the offer and have paid the required fees.
- Once the holding deposit is paid the offered unit is temporarily reserved for the applicant group while lease signing is in progress.
– Note: holding deposit is non-refundable once paid but is used towards the security deposit. eg: if holding deposit paid is $200.00 and full security deposit is $4,000 – the group only needs to pay $3,800 for remaining security deposit amount)
– Security deposit is refundable at the time the apartment moves out in the future provided the unit is returned undamaged with no pending balance
- Group will have 3 business days to sign the lease electronically via DocuSign and to pay the remaining full security deposit and to submit any co-signer forms or income documentation (if required).
- Fully signed DocuSign lease + full security deposit paid = unit is fully leased for the applicant group
Comments from Past / Current Residents from Reddit: